To receive seminar notifications, join our email list.
Seminars are open to all, and students who are enrolled in the Seminar course, SUST 6800, have additional opportunities to engage with the speakers. GCSC-affiliated faculty are invited to nominate speakers for the Seminar Series.
Video recordings of most seminars (Spring 2015-on) are available for viewing by those with a U of U Network ID.
Log in to Canvas to view seminar videos.
february 2, 2021
- Steven Burian, Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering; Director, U Water Center, University of Utah.
“Catalyzing Higher Education Capacity to Advance Water Security in Pakistan”
february 9, 2021
- Daniel Sarewitz, Professor of Science and Society, Arizona State University
“The Science of Modeling Through” Read more.
february 16, 2021
- Lawson Brigham, Distinguished Research Professor of Geography and Arctic Policy, University of Alaska, Fairbanks. Wilson Fellow, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
“The New Maritime Arctic: Changing Access, Global Connections and Geopolitics” Read more.
february 23, 2021
- Mercedes Pascual, Professor of Ecology and Evolution, The University of Chicago
“Changing climate and vector-borne infections: some challenges of scale” Read more.
march 9, 2021
- Mary Miss, artist
“City as Living Laboratory (CALL): Artists+Scientists+Communities”
CALL works to advance the role of artists in making cities more livable and resilient. This seminar will discuss projects that help people connect environmental challenges to personal experience and take action.
march 16, 2021
- Adrienne Cachelin, Professor (Lecturer), Environmental & Sustainability Studies, U Utah
Nalini Nadkarni, Professor, School of Biological Sciences, U Utah
Austin Green, PhD candidate in the School of Biological Sciences, U Utah
“Citizen Scientists or Scientist Citizens: Exploring Research-based Inclusive Public Engagement”
Read more. This seminar will not be recorded.
March 23, 2021
- Pamela McElwee, Associate Professor, Department of Human Ecology, Rutgers University
“Sustainable Development in Southeast Asia in a Post-COVID Era” Read more.
Co-sponsored with the Asia Center.
ENVIRONMENT & SUSTAINABILITY STUDENT research symposium
- View students’ presentations and posters here.
april 6, 2021
- Asia Dowtin, Assistant Professor of Urban and Community Forestry, Michigan State University
“Linking Water, Trees, and Stakeholders in the Urban Forest” Read more.
April 13, 2021
- Liliana Caughman, Faculty, Native Environmental Science, Northwest Indian College
“From Climate Action to Climate Justice: How scenarios, partnerships, and community priorities are driving equitable urban sustainability and resilience planning in Portland, Oregon”
April 20, 2021
- Jessica Grindstaff, Founder, Director, Playwright and Set Designer, Phantom Limb Company
“Storytelling, Imagism and Empathy: Awakening an Audience” Read more here.
The GCSC is partnering with UtahPresents for virtual performances of the company’s trilogy about people’s changing relationship to nature over time. The final performance will be April 22. Ticket holders will be able to view all three performances through April 30.