LOCATION: 210 ASB (ALINE SKAGGS BIOLOGY) UNIVERSITY OF UTAH
ALTERNATE TUESDAYS, 4:00-5:00 PM
Seminars are open to all, and students who are enrolled in the Seminar course, SUST 6800, have additional opportunities to engage with the speakers. GCSC-affiliated faculty are invited to nominate speakers for the Seminar Series. See grey box below for links to seminar videos.
This year’s seminar series begins with talks from three faculty members who were recruited to the UU through the efforts of the GCSC. Gabe Bowen, John Lin, and Diane Pataki exemplify researchers who work across disciplines to better address environmental science issues.
August 28, 2018
- Gabriel Bowen, Professor, Geology and Geophysics, University of Utah
“Water in the Critical Zone: How Soils Control Flows and Chemistry in the Terrestrial Water Cycle” Abstract / flyer
September 11, 2018
- John C. Lin, Professor, Atmospheric Sciences, University of Utah
“The greenhouse gas-air quality nexus: experiences from the Western U.S.” Abstract / flyer
September 25, 2018
- Diane Pataki, Professor, School of Biological Sciences, University of Utah
“Projecting nature: Reflections on the science of ‘ecology for cities’” Abstract / flyer
October 16, 2018
- Seth Arens, Research Integration Specialist, Western Water Assessment Utah
“Planning for drought and climate change in Utah: working with resource managers to develop usable science” Abstract / flyer
October 30, 2018
- Gaby Katul, Theodore S. Coile Professor of Hydrology and Micrometeorology, Nicholas School of the Environment, Duke University
“Evapotranspiration: From kinetic theory to the limits of plant life” Abstract / flyer | Read more here.
November 13, 2018
January 15, 2019
- Lauren Barth-Cohen, Educational Psychology, University of Utah
Climate change education
No seminar January 29 – see January 31 event.
January 31, 2019 – special date, time, location
- Robert Bullard, Distinguished Professor of Urban Planning and Environmental Policy, Texas Southern University
12:00-1:30 pm S.J. Quinney College of Law Moot Courtroom (Level 6)
This event is not part of the GCSC seminar series, but is a special seminar co-sponsored by the University of Utah S.J. Quinney College of Law, University of Utah Sustainability Office, and the University of Utah Office of Equity and Diversity.
February 12, 2019
- Giovanna Di Chiro, Professor, Environmental Studies, Swarthmore College
Social and economic disparities and human rights
February 26, 2019
- Aradhna Tripati, Institute of the Environment and Sustainability, UCLA
Dynamics of climate change
March 19, 2019
- Doug Kennett, Professor, Anthropology, Pennsylvania State
Sociopolitical dynamics under changing environmental conditions
April 2, 2019
- Diana Tomback, Integrative Biology, University of Colorado Denver
“Biodiversity catastrophe in real time: Loss of five-needle white pine communities and cascading consequences”
April 16, 2019
Video recordings of select seminars are available for viewing by those with a U of U Network ID.