ALTERNATE TUESDAYS, 4:00-5:00 PM
LOCATION: 210 ASB (ALINE SKAGGS BIOLOGY) UNIVERSITY OF UTAH
Seminars are open to all, and students who are enrolled in the Seminar course, SUST 6800, have additional opportunities to engage with the speakers. GCSC-affiliated faculty are invited to nominate speakers for the Seminar Series. See grey box below for links to seminar videos.
August 27, 2019
- Barbara Reck, Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies
“Why Using Metals Efficiently Matters”
This presentation discusses the challenges of metal recycling in the context of broader material cycles and the role of interdependencies among metals– from byproducts in ores, to alloying elements and complex multi-material products. Read more here.
September 17, 2019
- Masood Parvania, University of Utah Electrical & Computer Engineering
“Sustainability at the Intersection of Power and Water Infrastructure: An Engineering Perspective”
This seminar will outline the ongoing research on how closer collaboration and operation co-optimization of interdependent power and water infrastructure enhances the energy and economic efficiency of both systems. Read more here. Abstract/flyer
October 1, 2019
- Ken D. Tape, University of Alaska Geophysical Institute
“The Changing Arctic Landscape”
This talk explores a century of changes in the arctic tundra landscape and its wildlife. Read more here. Abstract/flyer
October 22, 2019
- Doug Kennett, U.C. Santa Barbara Department of Anthropology
“Drought and long-term sociopolitical dynamics west of the hundredth meridian” Abstract/flyer
Lessons from archaeological records provide insights into the complexity of sociopolitical responses in the past and to drought west of the hundredth meridian going into the future.
November 5, 2019
- Jeff Rose, University of Utah Health, Kinesiology and Recreation
“Homelessness, Political Ecology, and Critical Sustainability”
A critical spatial approach to unsheltered homelessness positions it as both a social and environmental justice concern that confronts common understandings of sustainability.
November 19, 2019
- Juliet Carlisle, University of Utah Political Science
Environmental and energy politics, public opinion and behavior
January 14, 2020
- Speaker pending confirmation
January 28, 2020
- Sean Davis, NOAA Chemistry and Climate Processes
February 11, 2020
- Hilary Swain, Archbold Biological Station
February 25, 2020
- Nancy Grimm, Distinguished Sustainability Scientist, Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of Sustainability, Arizona State University
March 3, 2020
- Joan I. Nassauer, School for Environment and Sustainability, University of Michigan
March 17, 2020
- Jessica Grindstaff, Founder, Director and Set Designer, Phantom Limb Company
The GCSC, Sustainability Office, and Utah Presents co-sponsor “Falling Out” by Phantom Limb Company
March 31, 2020
- Steven J. Davis, Department of Earth System Science, U.C. Davis
April 14, 2020
- Speaker pending confirmation
Video recordings of select seminars are available for viewing by those with a U of U Network ID.
Log in to Canvas to view seminar videos.